This last year has seen significant progress on our renewal project to re-order St Helen’s church building. We were granted Faculty (planning permission) for the work last April which allowed us to move towards raising the money to undertake the work.
- We obtained a more detailed quotation for the work from our Architect in liaison with a local Quantity Surveyor, which totals £200,000.
- We have then broken this figure down into different categories and stages of work. This is important in order to better apply to charities for support, and to enable us to consider completing the work in a number of stages.
- The congregations at St Helen’s have been asked for support, both personally and through congregational and wider community fundraising events. Initial support and pledges with money from events since have raised over £41,000 which is a terrific total.
- Sue Baxter has put significant time into exploring the best ways of funding the outstanding balance with Tony Brown, the Diocesan advisor on fund raising.
- Applications have been put in for a number of charities, based on a four page summary of the project. The larger charities require more detailed submissions which we are currently putting together. This requires letters of support from community groups and a community survey.
- The hope is to obtain funds that allow an initial stage of work to be done between November and April.
Alongside this focus on renewing our buildings to serve the community and church, we also keep a desire to renew our faith in Christ through the gracious power of the Holy Spirit.
Many thanks for all your support and generosity,
Andy Lord, Rector